Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lpelzel
Returning Member

asset disposition

Seems like TT Business must have a glitch.  When I enter the disposition of an asset sold for a gain it correctly shows the depreciation recapture as an ordinary gain but also enters the difference between the purchase price and the selling price as a sec 1231 loss.  How can one have a loss on something sold for a gain?  To confirm my thinking I entered the same transaction in TT Home and Business and it did not show a 1231 loss.  How do I work around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

asset disposition

The sale of a business asset would normally show up on form 4797, page 2, part III. Can you look at that form and see what the net gain or loss is?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lpelzel
Returning Member

asset disposition

The issue is on my 1065 business return.  Sch K-1 line 20 has a statement called QBI Pass-through Entity Reporting that shows the difference between the asset purchase price and sale price as a Sec 1231 loss even though the asset was sold for a gain (asset had been depreciated to a book value of zero).  The gain is also shown on K-1 line 20.  The effect when this flows to my personal return is that the gain correctly becomes ordinary income on form 4797 while the supposed loss reduces my QBI (but not taxable income).

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

asset disposition

Qualified Business Income (QBI) does not include “investment items” such as capital gains or losses.  So, what the TurboTax software is calculating on the Schedule K-1, Line 20 QBI Pass-through Entity Reporting Statement is the QBI reported to partners, which by definition excludes the portion of partnership income that represents the capital gain.

Use “Forms” mode (icon at upper right, blue panel) to look at the “199A Act Wks” and “199A Stmt A Sum” worksheets for the calculations on the QBI Pass-through Entity Reporting Statement.  You can also use Forms mode look at the Form 4797 for the calculation of the taxable amount of your asset disposition, as suggested by Community user ThomasM125.

lpelzel
Returning Member

asset disposition

Ya'll are not speaking to the question I am asking.  I'll try to be more clear.  I don't need help on how to report the gain.  I want to know why TT is calculating a sec 1231 loss  on an asset I have sold for a profit.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

asset disposition

You could have had non-recaptured losses or excess accumulated depreciation. It is possible to have a loss on part of the gain.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies