Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Asset acquisition date same as date placed in service

I have a leasing business that I've structured so that every asset is depreciable.  Haven't run into this in prior years, but this year every asset has an error.  It's identified as Qualified Property for Economic Stimulus purposes, and TurboTax uses my purchase date as the date placed in service, but because it doesn't also populate the Date acquired field, I have to go to the form to check the "yes" box for "was this property acquired after 9/27/17".

What did I miss?  Did something change this year?  I can provide screenshot if it would help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, it's not a change for 2022. The bonus depreciation changed for assets placed in service after that date (09/27/2017).

As long as you check the box for each asset you should be able to complete your tax return rather than reloading it into your 2022 TurboTax return.  

It's always a good idea to clear your cache and cookies on a regular basis, it may not clear this issue at this point, however I can attest to the usefulness. It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My issue is that I enter all the information asked for each asset in step-by-step, but doing so leaves me with an error on each asset such that I have to open Forms for each.   Although the requested info in step-by-step is acquisition date, TurboTax uses that information to populate the "placed in service" field.  This causes an error and when I open Forms, the acquisition date field is blank.

I can clear that error by either populating the acquisition date field (with the same date as TurboTax mistakenly put in "placed in service field), or by checking the "yes" box in "was this property acquired after 09/27/2017".  It appears to me that TurboTax had done that (checked "yes") last year because I didn't have these errors last year, and last year's assets have he "yes" box checked. 

If TurboTax had simply populated the acquisition date field rather than the placed in service field (or both), or automatically checked "yes", I wouldn't have an error.  That error means that, for each asset (and I have over 300 new assets this year), I have to enter all the information in step-by-step, then open Forms to correct the error.

So, while there hasn't been a change in the tax law, my question is  really... has there been a change in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies