Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jennysolar1
Returning Member

AAA account

I filed my first S Corp return in 2019 after having my business for 3 years prior. I believe I am going to need to amend my 2019 1120S because I did not enter my beginning basis in and TurboTax moved it directly to retained earnings. It's not accounted for anywhere in my AAA account, so TurboTax is not letting me balance in 2020 when my distributions exceeded my net income for the year. I cannot figure out how to enter my beginning basis so it will show up on AAA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

AAA account

Did you start out as a corporation or a different type of business entity?

In fact, even as a sole proprietorship, once you begin your business you are to start filing an income tax return on it.

A corporation is required to file a tax return once it has been created, whether or not it has any income.

Per IRS Publication 542:

Who must file.

Unless exempt under section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code, all domestic corporations in existence for any part of a tax year (including corporations in bankruptcy) must file an income tax return whether or not they have taxable income.

So, whatever year you began your business, you needed to begin filing a tax return for it.

The year you incorporated, you are to begin filing corporation tax returns.  

The year you elected to be taxed as an S Corporation, you must begin to file Form 1120S as an S Corporation.

You need to go back to the first year of taxation as a corporation and file Form 1120.  If your first year of being a corporation was the same year you elected to be taxed as an s corporation you will need to file the first Form 1120S.

The retained earnings account is generally where the software will balance the balance sheet at.

Your beginning capital account will need to be entered on the first Form 1120S you are completing for the initial year as an S corporation and then maintain it each year after.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies