Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1120s - Reporting interest from an APA installment sale

Does the interest earned from an APA installment sale get reported on the 1120s as part of business income, or instead on the Schedule K-1 box 4 (Interest Income)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Thank you for the reply, but it doesn't answer this question.

It is reported on the 1120S as interest income and is then passed thru to the owner on the K-1 as interest income.    Read the instructions for line 5...     https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120s.pdf

If earned interest is listed on 1120s Line 5 wouldn't it flow to the K-1 on Line 1 (Ordinary business income)?  

Just my opinion, nothing more, but if the sale was not in the ordinary course of business, I cannot see why it would be reported as anything other than portfolio interest (Line 4, Schedule K). 

A sale of an asset owned by the corporation (and previously used in the corporation's business) and then sold to a third party is not really a sale in the ordinary course of business (i.e., it is not inventory nor is the interest received on something like an account receivable).

Follow the program interview screens and it will help you enter all the information needed. 

In the Business edition, I believe some lines on Schedule K of Form 1120-S need to be entered in Forms Mode. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies