turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 NEC's and nonresident tax returns

I am a full time AZ resident. I have W-2 income from NYS as I finished a full time remote position there in early 2023. I am filing a nonresident NYS tax return in which that is included.  I also have an AZ-based consulting business for which I received a 1099 NEC (over $15,000) from a (different) NY-based client (all remote consulting services).  It constituted under 30% of my overall single member LLC business income. Do I include the 1099 NEC as NYS income on my NYS nonresident tax return, (based on % of overall consulting income), and pay NY taxes on it? 

I also have a 1099 NEC from WI for over $17,000.  Do I have to file a WI nonresident tax return for that as well or just claim it on my AZ tax return? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to include the 1099-NEC income form New York on your non-resident NY tax return, unless you performed the work in New York.  Likewise for the 1099-NEC income from WI.  If you performed the work in WI, you must file a WI non-resident tax return and include it.  If the work was performed in AZ, you don't need to file a WI return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. That's very helpful.  Do I need to complete a Nonresident Business Allocation Schedule for the remote work I did in NY for which I received a W-2?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, the Nonresident Business Allocation Schedule is used when work is performed inside and outside of New York (NY). Since you were not physically present in NY when you did the work there is no need for this schedule. This is for your W-2 only.

• I finished a full time remote position there in early 2023

@Janet_21 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies