Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wadsworth2016
Returning Member

1099-int for a Corporation

I started a business 2 years ago. The business type is "Corporation". It is a S-Corporation which will pass through all the net income to my personal tax filing. 

My corporation has money market funds earning interest in a brokerage firm. 

For the interest my corporation earned, I expect to receive a Form 1099-INT for tax reporting purposes.

My broker does not produce a 1099-INT because "a Corporation does not need to receive that and we do not report your interest income to IRS."

I verified IRS's website https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099int#idm[phone number removed]736

This is what I got in that IRS web page"

"You are not required to file Form 1099-INT for payments made to certain payees including, but not limited to, a corporation ...."

Does my corporation need to pay tax on the interest earned from money market fund? If yes, why IRS says a corporation is not required to file Form 1099-int?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. Your S-Corp has to report this interest income, which will flow through to its shareholders to be taxed. The interest is reported on line 5 of form 1120S - Other income.

The IRS says that the payer (your broker) is not required to file form 1099-INT when interest is paid to a corporation. They didn't say that a corporation doesn't need to report form 1099-INT.

Your broker is not required to send forms 1099-INT to corporations because corporations have accounting books which should have recorded all income and expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

why no 1099-INT? some corporations do not use a calendar year (even some S-Corps) or use the accrual basis of accounting thus the ability of the IRS to match the interest to what's reported on the return is extremely limited. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies