Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-G for new small farm not yet operational

I am in the process of starting a small farm business for which I have set up an LLC with EIN.   In 2023, the LLC received a USDA NRCS Taxable Grant (1099-G, Box 6) for a high tunnel.

Do I report this 1099-G on Schedule F even though my business was not yet open in 2023?

To me, neither Schedule F nor the subsequent Self Employment Tax seem applicable for 2023 because I was not engaging in ongoing business activities.  And, the SE Tax is being calculated on 100% of the Taxable Grant because there are no deductions for depreciation or start-up and organizational expenses. (It’s my understanding that these deductions start in the tax year in which the business officially opens.)

A second option for entering the 1099-G is from another Turbo Tax forum: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/re-how-do-i-properly-enter-info-for-a-ta....

In doing this, the 1099-G gets reported on Schedule 1 which makes it look like I personally received the taxable grant rather than the LLC.  Is that a problem with the IRS?  How would they reconcile a 1099 issued to the LLC EIN being reported on Schedule 1 which is tied to my personal name and SSN?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me sort this out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

1099-G for new small farm not yet operational

If this is a single-member LLC, disregarded entity for tax purposes, then you should report it on your personal return Schedule F and not as "other reportable income".

If this is another type of LLC, such as one taxed as a partnership, then it should be reported on a tax return for the entity.

The IRS information return matching program will look for the amount to appear on a tax return. If you receive a notice from the IRS that it is missing, provide evidence of where the amount was reported.

Yes, this thread contains useful additional examples and discussion of this topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies