TurboTax for Mac can give an error stating "An error occurred while while extracting the archive" on installation or during updates.
Please try the following steps to work around this issue:
- Eject the TurboTax disk if it is currently in your CD drive.
- Quit TurboTax, empty your trash, and reboot your computer.
- Open your Applications folder and launch TurboTax from there, and choose to update when it prompts you.
If you're still experiencing the same error, try this secondary workaround.
- Quit TurboTax and ensure the CD is not in the drive.
- Ensure you are in finder, then hold down the option key, and click the "Go" menu. From the menu, select the Library option.
- Inside the Library, open the Application Support folder, then the TurboTax 2013 folder. There should be a folder called "TurboTax 20xx 20xx.XXX.XXXX" (the X will represent the tax year and version number) Find the most recent folder in this format either by checking date added or getting the highest version number.
- Launch the .dmg file inside this folder and click the TurboTax 20xx application, then drag it to your Applications folder. Replace any existing installation in there.
- You should now be up to date with TurboTax when you launch it from the Applications folder.