cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How long should I wait after my son's amendment is mailed to try to e-file my return?

My son filed his taxes claiming himself and had to amend them since in 2017 he was a dependent. I wasn't able to electronically file my taxes and filed for an extension while my son amended and sent in the amendment to his. My son's amendment is now mailed. Will I be able to file electronically after my son's return is processed? If so how long should I wait before trying? Or I cannot e-file, I just need to mail them?    

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

How long should I wait after my son's amendment is mailed to try to e-file my return?

You probably should wait for around six weeks for your son's amended return to be posted on the master file. Else just file your return by mail  and that will force human intervention--- but in any case your  refund  will be held up till your son's return has been processed.  Good Luck

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

You must mail in the return this year ... no matter how long you wait you will not be able to efile this year.
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

You probably should wait for around six weeks for your son's amended return to be posted on the master file. Else just file your return by mail  and that will force human intervention--- but in any case your  refund  will be held up till your son's return has been processed.  Good Luck

View solution in original post