Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong allowance on CA's Withholding Certificate

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for what must sound like an easy question. Long story short, I got a new job last year and selected the wrong number of state allowances while filling out the company's elections during my first week.

While I correctly selected "single" for federal elections (0 allowances), I selected "head of household" for state elections. This wasn't so much an oversight but more of a confusion when reading "single or married (with two or more incomes)". Since I only have one income, I thought this didn't apply, but I now see how I read that wrong.

This means that I've been benefiting from 1 allowance for state tax ever since I joined in September. I just corrected that back to "single" and 0 allowances, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything else other than that.

While filing last month, the tax returns were correctly filed as single for both federal and state (I assume because TurboTax does a good job at preventing wrong filing status by asking those initial questions), so I believe my taxes were filed properly.

My question is: at the end of the day, does the IRS calculate total withholding vs. tax due for my filing status in the returns regardless of that mistake with allowances? I still got a nice return, so I'm just making sure that I don't need to amend the returns themselves, just the state withholding moving forward.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The allowances you choose for your payroll affects the amount of tax that is withheld for income taxes. When you prepare your income tax return, you get credit for the amount of tax withheld from your pay, but the allowances you claimed are not a factor in how your income tax is calculated. So, the mistake you made in choosing the correct number of allowances for your payroll will not affect the calculation of your income tax. You do not need to amend your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for confirming, Thomas. That's what I thought, but I can sleep a bit better now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies