Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I have to amend my tax return?

Am i considered a dependent? I was 21by the end of 2017, don't go to school, and work full time. I ended up making a little more than 22,000. I am also still living with my mother however I pay a part (less than half) of the rent. I also use my own money for my expenses (phone bill, credit card bills, food, clothes, transportation). I filed my taxes yesterday and put that i will be claimed as a dependent. However, when my mother was filing her taxes on turbotax it said she couldn't claim me. So would I have to make an amendment? Would it change anything?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can claim yourself and your return is correct, and no Amended return is needed.

Your mother needs to go through the Personal Information section again, as you were NOT a full time student in 2017 and you made over $4,050 (exemption amount), so she will NOT be able to claim you on her return.

Also appears you provide over half of your own support. 

She must of not answered a question correctly or did not know how much you made. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You can claim yourself and your return is correct, and no Amended return is needed.

Your mother needs to go through the Personal Information section again, as you were NOT a full time student in 2017 and you made over $4,050 (exemption amount), so she will NOT be able to claim you on her return.

Also appears you provide over half of your own support. 

She must of not answered a question correctly or did not know how much you made. 

she couldn't claim me when she was doing her taxes. it wouldnt let her. And i did not claim myself because i filed my tax return before she did hers and i put down that i will be claimed as a dependent. That is why i am asking if i will have to make an amendment so that i can change it to not being a dependent.

Ok sorry I read it wrong, yes you should claim yourself (do not say you can be claimed by someone else) and wait until the original return is processed and then file an amended return. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565</a>

go to that link and do the amended after you get your refund on the return filed.

ok Thank you so much!

Did  you indicate on your return that you will be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return? Then you didn’t get the benefit of your own exemption ($4050).  It is correct that your mother cannot claim you as a dependent.  If you didn’t claim yourself, then you will need to file an amendment to do that - & that WILL make a difference on your tax return.

yes! that is exactly what happened! I was confused to whether or not i was a dependent since i am her child and she does pay for more of the rent than i do. but then when she was doing her taxes and put in my info TurboTax said that she couldn't claim me. Will i have to make the amendment now? or after its accepted?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies