turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my credit card being charged even though efile was rejected?

I went back to my computer and click on fix/resubmit, and got rejected notification (3x) 

After few hours (thinking my efile was no good),  my credit card is being charged for both IRS payment and the filing fee. What is going on here? Why are the charges going through even though my efile was rejected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

When your return is rejected by the IRS or state, it is as if you never e-filed it or paid TurboTax. 

Payment was rejected when the return was rejected. So you can re-open your return, fix what needs to be fixed, and then e-file it as if for the first time.

Turbotax is not working, it keeps rejecting my tax return,   i went ahead and efile directly for the state tax return (this was free for the state... not sure why turbotax is charging me to do this with their software)...

anyways, how do i stop turbotax for the efile with the state?   right now whenever i try to resubmit the efile , it is trying efile for both federal and state.   how to stop efile (was previously rejected)  for the state portion?

First.  If your return is rejected by the IRS, that indicates a mis-match between something on your return and something the IRS thinks they know about you, and your return is not passing basic validation checks.  What is the code number?  

If you can't fix it or don't want to try and fix it, you need to print and mail your return.  Go back to the program and change your answer from e-file to print and mail.

Second, you can't e-file a state return unless you also e-file your federal return, this is a security measure by the states, not turbotax.  Print and mail your state return as well.  (Don't worry if the program says that state e-filing is required, this is an exception.)

Third, if you paid your turbotax fees with a credit card, this covers preparation and filing.  E-filing is never guaranteed because sometimes things happen that are out of Turbotax's control.  You got a valid return, you just have to mail it.  The only time you pay extra specifically for e-filing is when using the program installed on your own computer (desktop version) and you pay an extra fee to e-file your state return.  In that case, you need to call customer support for a refund.  

Fourth, if you selected that you would pay your income tax with a credit card (not with a bank draft), then that tax information is not sent to the IRS, it is sent to a third party card processor, and that card processor might have gotten the information even though the IRS rejected the return.  That's ok, it will go to your credit and the IRS will match it up when they get your mailed return.  Just make sure that, when preparing to mail your return, you change your payment answer to "I will mail a check".  That way, a second payment won't be included (and you obviously leave the check out of the envelope if your credit card was already hit for the tax).

However, be careful about the difference between your turbotax fees and your income taxes.  If the credit card processor was not informed, then no payment will be made.  So you should check your credit card statement for both your federal taxes and state taxes (if you owed both), make sure the payments were made before April 15.  If not, you can make a payment directly on the IRS or your state tax web site so you won't be considered late. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies