Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJK2
Returning Member

When filing amended return, should TT Desktop tell user that, while they can efile the state amendment, they must print/mail the federal one, then later say Fed efile OK?

TT at outset said Fed 1040X must be paper-filed. When I got done printing all the forms out and prepped to mail, it then went to the File stage, where Fed e-file appeared available.  Confused, I proceeded to e-file state.  Now, I cannot e-file Fed, which I would've done had TT indicated such was an option at the beginning. :{
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

When filing amended return, should TT Desktop tell user that, while they can efile the state amendment, they must print/mail the federal one, then later say Fed efile OK?

Sometimes you may not be able to electronically file your amended federal return.  In this situation, you will need to mail it in.  Please see this link for more details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JJK2
Returning Member

Understood..  in some cases, 1040X can be e-filed, in some situations, maybe not.

My point is, TT shouldn't signal up front "you're going to need to file this by mail" if there remains some chance that e-file may be available.  Up front, say "you *may* have to file by mail, we'll let you know when we've determined your options".  Then later, then later, when TT has enough information to know the options, let the user know what those options are. 

We filed on paper because TT told me up front that was necessary.  Only afterward did I realize e-file probably would have been an option- an annoying discovery at that point.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies