Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What would cause me to have issues tracking my refund? TurboTax shows my return was accepted on July 12th but the IRS can't locate the status. What can I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What would cause me to have issues tracking my refund? TurboTax shows my return was accepted on July 12th but the IRS can't locate the status. What can I do?

You can also use this tool to confirm an efiled return was accepted:

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

By "IRS can't locate it", are you referring to the "Where's My Refund" tool?

https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE: When entering your refund amount, use only the Federal refund amount and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund. The figure to use is shown on your 2018 Federal Form 1040, Line 20a.

Yes, the "where's my refund" tool provided by the IRS. Neither the IRS app nor the website can confirm anything with my information. Using the TurboTax tool you linked, I still show it was accepted on the 12th of this month.

kristiebryller 

I added some additional info to this comment at 1:25 AM Pacific 7/16/19.  You may have originally been emailed the comment without the added material.

Did you confirm the Federal refund amount to enter there at "Where's My Refund" by looking at your actual Federal Form 1040, Line 20a?    And, of course, entering the correct filing status and SSN?

If your refund amount has cents, try rounding it up and rounding it down to see if one works.

Check it again in a couple of days.   You could phone the IRS to look it up on their end, but they might tell you they can't help you in the first 21 days.  If it were me, and if I verified that I was entering the correct amount, I'd just wait a while and try periodically, but you can phone them, if you wish to see if they have an explanation.

Here's how to reach a live agent at the IRS:

800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line to check on your refund (although you could try it to see if it shows up that way.)   Otherwise here's how to get a live agent:

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It might transfer you to an agent at that point.   If it doesn't it may ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal" then you should be transferred.

I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies