Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joey25

What should I do: when tracking refund on IRS site, says they need to verify my identity and they mail something which I never got. Is this common? Return accepted on TT

My return says "Accepted" on Turbotax but when tracking with IRS tool, receive this message "To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return information. If you recently received a letter from us, follow the instructions on the letter."

No information has changed since last year, even refund amount is the same. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process. Turbotax has my estimated return date as Feb. 8 - today.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

What should I do: when tracking refund on IRS site, says they need to verify my identity and they mail something which I never got. Is this common? Return accepted on TT

Yes, every year some income tax returns are reviewed due to possible identity theft issues. 

As a filer, you need to just co-operate if the IRS asks you for documents or identification. They will likely mail you a letter to the address on your tax return as a first point of contact, so be wary if you are called by a person claiming to be from the IRS. 

Follow this link to learn more about how the IRS helps taxpayers eliminate identity theft. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
joey25

When should I receive this letter? I would have thought I would have received it by now as this message has been showing up for 10 days in "Where's my refund". Nothing has been mailed to me by the IRS yet (have mail preview) and I filed on the first day possible. This appears to be increasingly common this year as I have spoken with friends and others online saying they are in the same situation and no one can get a straight answer, even from the IRS.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There's no official timeframe, but the IRS tries to get your identity verified as quickly as possible to get your refund out to you in the shortest possible time.

If the IRS' Taxpayer Protection Program has identified a return it suspects might be using information gathered by identity theft, you may receive Letter 4883C from the IRS, requesting that you verify your identity within 30 days.

See the following IRS resources for more information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies