Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do if the due amount shown online on the IRS website is different than the one stated in a LTR 0474C note from the IRS?

I filed my taxes, and incorrectly claimed my child as dependent, when it was her dad's year to claim her.
I then filed and amendment, and made a payment as calculated through TurboTax.
Then I received an LTR 0474C note from the IRS, saying that they found an error in my amendment, and I owed additional X amount.
My IRS online account shows a different due amount. I know that the online account sometimes it's not up to date, but it's been a month, and it still doesn't match the amount in the letter. I made a partial payment, and this is now reflected on the online IRS account, but the total is still different from the note.
I don't know how much I owe. What is the accurate amount I need to pay and be done, the one online, or the one in the letter?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What should I do if the due amount shown online on the IRS website is different than the one stated in a LTR 0474C note from the IRS?

Your online account is supposed to tell you your current balance.

the fact that a recent payment is shown further confirms that.

@jessica-burgio77 

The payment was made online. It makes sense that it shows. I guess I will wait for their reply.

If the IRS sent you a letter, they are waiting for your reply.

After some time a second more stern letter will be sent.

@jessica-burgio77 

I did reply. I also made a first payment. All I'm trying to figure out is how much my balance is, because of the conflicting info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies