Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tamk236

What is my next step? I have filed my 2022 return. I did get accepted but never processed/returned. Got W2C with change of SSN from employer. How to amend?

I am a student from Germany, so I don't know much about US taxes. I was an Intern in 2022 in the United States. I had problems receiving my SSN and bc of that my employer did not provide the correct info to the IRS. Instead of getting paid my due refund, I received a fine. I now got a W2C from my employer with no changes, except the SSN.
I can not contact support because I do not have a US number or adress.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

What is my next step? I have filed my 2022 return. I did get accepted but never processed/returned. Got W2C with change of SSN from employer. How to amend?

@tamk236 , I am not sure I fully understand the situation.

1.  The return that you filed and got accepted for processing  was  with your correct SSN ?   What about your W-2 ?

2.   When did you file the return ?   What do you mean by  "fine" -- interest charges  and/or penalty   -- if you were owed then there is usually no interest but may be penalty for  failure to file.

3. When did you enter the country and with what visa ?  Was this your first entry ?How long did you stay in the country ?    I am trying to understand if you should file a 1040-NR or form 1040.

I may have  other questions based on your answer .  Please  answer  so I can help.

Grusse

pk

tamk236

Hi @pk, thanks for the reply!

Sorry, the whole thing is a bit messy.

1. Yes, on my return I had my correct SSN. On the W-2 it says applied for.
2. I filed in February 2023. 

3. I entered September 2022 on a J1 visa. It was my first entry with a visa. Stayed for 9 months. It was an exchange with Purdue University.

The fine is a bit complicated. I think what happened was: I filed my taxes "correct". My employer filed with SSN "applied for". So the IRS has no confirmation of my wages.  They then said I owe xxxx amount, which I had to pay.
All of this is only gathered through numerous IRS hotline workers and my limited understanding of the situation. 

My main question is: How do I correct this? I seem to only be able to amend with Turbo Tax Desktop version, which I am unfamiliar with. There I have not found an option for changing SSN (as that probably never happens)

Again Thank you so much for taking the time. I know this is complicated so I really appreciate it.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@tamk236  from  your response , what i get :

(a) your filing for  2022  ( covering your earnings  for the period  Sept. 2022 through  12/31/2022 should have been filed on form 1040-NR  ( this is not supported by TurboTax , -- SprinTax,  School Foreign Student grp. or a Tax professional would be able to do this).  If you filed a form 1040 using TurboTax, your only choice is to amend this return.

(b) For the  tax year 2023 covering your earnings from Jan1st. 2023 through  the day you left USA can be filed on form 1040 ( supported by TurboTax ).   Have you filed this return ?   If you have then again you may have to  do amended return.  TurboTax on-line would certainly be available till Oct. 15th.

You can always download the forms required  ( for 2022 ), fill out the correct information ( including  updated SSN , the amounts withheld and/or amounts paid  to the IRS etc. ), and turn in by mail to the IRS.   Don't forget you also have to / file for the State.

For your J-1 work at Purdue did they not give a W-2 ?  Or who was your employer that sent you the W-2C ?

I will come back once I hear from you .

pk

tamk236

@pk 

I did an exchange semester, including studying at Purdue and working at a different company. This company sent the W2C. My internship was from September to December 2022, so I did not work in 2023 and didn't have to file taxes.

I filed the 2022 1040 with Turbotax in February (my SSN was on there).I don't know about the 1040-NR, fellow students, with the same exchange, filed with TT as well and didn't have problems. 

Could I just download the old 1040 etc. from TT Desktop, attach the W-2 + W-2C, and write a note with my description of what happened?  

Thanks 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@tamk236  can you just download the forms , attach the W-2c ?  Yes .   But it would be wrong.  Others may have filed the erroneous form and nothing happens ( i.e. IRS accepts and processes the  filings ) does not  mean that it meets the rules set forth by the IRS.

My strong recommendation would be to file a form 1040-NR, fill out everything ) by hand or otherwise -- these forms are fillable pdf ), attach a copy of  filed 1040 and include a letter explaining that you  are  Non-Resident Alien  ( NRA )  and had filed on the wrong form.  This should then update your account with the IRS.  Any refund would be sent to you as a check unless you still have a valid US bank account ( in which they can direct deposit )..

Is there more I can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies