turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bstar111

What is gonna happen? What should we do?

Can someone please help me…so the person doing my sister taxes claimed me as a dependent but failed to include my insurance and 1098-t my sister was under the impression that she was filing independently this year since I was unemployed and told me that she did so I filed my own taxes because I needed to include my insurance and 1098 t it got rejected electronically so I had to paper mail it…what’s gonna happen? What should we do? Pls help:/

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Bstar111

Srry I meant to say the person doing my sister taxes put me as a dependent on hers without including that information 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If your your sister filed her tax return claiming you as a  dependent, and you filed your tax return and indicated that you could not be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, the IRS will contact both of you to determine if she was eligible to claim you as a dependent or not.  It's not a problem, the IRS will just want to get things right.  One of you will probably owe additional tax.  Since you filed a paper return it might take a while before you hear from the IRS.  

If you do not qualify as your sister's dependent, she should file an amended return to remove you as a dependent.  That would resolve the issue.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies