angie-mccalliste

What happens to my refund if it doesn't go in my account

ErinH

If the info you provided is for a closed or invalid account, the government will mail you a refund check.

But what if you entered a valid (but incorrect) account number belonging to a stranger? Usually, there's nothing to worry about, as many banks won't deposit tax refunds into accounts where names don't match up. You can try calling the IRS to stop the direct deposit, if your return hasn't posted to their system yet (and you're willing to get your refund via paper check). More info here. For security reasons, the IRS cannot re-route your refund to a different account.

The most accurate place to check your status is the IRS's Where's My Refund? site. If you have not received your refund and the IRS has approved your return and issued it, please contact the IRS at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

ErinH