kelly_elrod

We received a letter stating the federal student loan debt was paid in full. how do I know if the IRS also shows the debt paid in full?

the letter also states if the 8379 injured spouse form is filed, the debt will not be paid in full. how do I determine whether or not the IRS will or will not seize my tax refund for this?

JaimeG

If you filed the Injured Spouse Allocation you will more than likely receive at least a partial return depending on which state you live in. It is very difficult to know what information the IRS has or does not have. Even more difficult is trying to get and IRS employee on the phone during Tax Season. Below is a link to a IRS page regarding the withholding of a refund for certain unpaid debts. It also has a phone number and a few useful links that may help give you peace of mind in this matter.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/six-facts-on-tax-refunds-and-offsets