Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KayZ
Returning Member

We filed our taxes (Fed/Mich) and mistakenly claimed my daughter as a dependent though she doesn't qualify. I can't efile her return after amending mine. Involves 1098T.

She is 22, but her income was too high. A SARSEP disbursement meant she had a 1098T, which I like to apply to her filings. My amended returns were accepted 3/31. Do I need to have her manually file signed printouts of her returns to Federal and Michigan authorities?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

We filed our taxes (Fed/Mich) and mistakenly claimed my daughter as a dependent though she doesn't qualify. I can't efile her return after amending mine. Involves 1098T.

If she was a student for 5 months of 2023, you can claim her.   And yes, if she is filing by mail, she needs to sign and mail her returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KayZ
Returning Member

Thanks, but she's earned well over $5000 and TurboTax wouldn't allow me to file her return as a dependent. After filing my joint returns in early March which used the 1098-T and 1099-Q data, I tried helping her file. It was at that point I realized (hopefully correctly) that I needed to send amended joint return for myself/spouse. I did that, but because my initial return listed her as a dependent and cited her/SSN on my original filing, I can't file hers. I get the message:

F8863-528-03 - Each Student SSN that has a value on Form 8863, Line 21 must not be the same as that in another Form 8863 for the same tax year.
F1040-516 - If Form 1040, 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return filed for the same tax year.

I'm thinking that she should file her corrected TurboTax return manually, as e-filing is rejected every time, or suggest she submit extensions for both Federal and Michigan returns. I think the IRS has to process my amended return before e-filing will be accepted by the Feds and, once accepted, Michigan.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The first issue is this-

If she is a student, under 24, it DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SHE EARNED as long as she did not supply more than half her support. She could make a million dollars and put it in the bank and if you supply more than half her support, you claim her.

Next, if you are amending your return because you claimed the student and now you feel the student is not your dependent and should file as a non-dependent, the student will need to mail the student return for tax year 2023, the option to efile will never be an option for the student for tax year 2023 because of that rejection code unless they file as a dependent. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies