Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

USPS lost my tax return. I owe money. What to do?

Hi everyone,

I was an international student in the US and I moved to Canada permanently. Several weeks ago, I sent my federal tax return to IRS, using Canadian Post.

On its way to IRS in Texas, my document got stuck and the last processing point I see is a USPS facility in Queens, NY. It's been weeks since that time.

I did e-file my state tax return but I can't e-file my federal tax return. I sent the return, using registered service, but Canadian post gave me a receipt that contains only the zip code of the destination. Not the entire address, so it's not a good proof for the IRS.

The main problem is that I owe federal tax, according to my tax return. I paid what I owe before the deadline, but I am concerned that if my tax return is not entirely correct, I could owe more or less than I paid. It's not a big deal, if I owe less. But it's going to be a problem if I owe more. It's my first tax return that was prepaid by me. Before, I used student services that helped me with the tax preparation, so I was more confident that the forms were filled properly.

I am not exactly sure what to do in that case. I can't access my IRS account because it requires a US phone number to register and it doesn't accept Canadian phone numbers. I filed a "lost mail" request with Canadian Post. USPS doesn't allow that for my type of mail. 

The deadline for filing tax returns has passed, however, so I am kind of on a limbo here.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies