Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get back over payment money from 2015

I over paid 1,000.00 last year but did not need it. (long story) is it possible to get that money back this year? If so, how?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM

If you carried forward an overpayment from your 2015 tax return to your 2016 tax return, that money will now factor into your 2016 bottom line.  If your bottom line shows an overpayment for 2016 (which will include that amount carried forward), then you can simply have it all refunded to you on the 2016 return.

When you indicate that a 2015 overpayment should be carried forward, then once IRS processes the return, that money will no longer be part of your 2015 "account."  The IRS shifts it to 2016 and it gets applied to your 2016 return.  Then you can take the new 2016 overpayment as a refund, or you can carry some/all forward to 2017, and so on.

When you file the 2016 return -- assuming you have another overpayment -- TurboTax will ask you whether you want to carry any of it forward to 2017, and you can say no, which means you'll get it all back as a refund.  

Unfortunately, that is a big IF that TT Thomas starts off with. You have to have specified this action on your 2015 tax return.
Otherwise, file a 2015 tax return for your refund. You must do so within three years of the due date.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies