turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I remove a dependent from my tax return while being audited?

I'm being audited can I still remove a dependent while the audit is in process?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

If you have already filed the return with the dependent, no.  No changes should be made during an audit.  If you have not yet filed and the person is not your dependent then you should remove them before filing.  You can only file with a dependent if they qualify as such.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Melaine

If you have already filed the return with the dependent, no.  No changes should be made during an audit.  If you have not yet filed and the person is not your dependent then you should remove them before filing.  You can only file with a dependent if they qualify as such.

So what are my options? I forgot to remove the dependent when filing and the audit is asking for paperwork I do not have.
Melaine

Unfortunately, every IRS case is different and I really cannot say what will happen.  However, if you end up owing, you can ask for a payment plan to relieve the financial pressure this could cause.

What exactly would I have to pay back ?
Melaine

I do not know, I am just giving you an option if you do.  Maybe you will not, just giving you an option in event you do.

Did you ever reslove this issue? We have the same problem. If so could u help me out

No I never resolved the problem. I want to amend and just remove what's questioned. This year is crap

@drewspurrier21 - if being audited, follow the directions in the audit letter.  Any questions should be directed to the phone number on the letter or write your question and mail to the address on the letter referring to the case number.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

"... the audit is asking for paperwork I do not have."  If you do not have documentation - for example the child is not a dependent - then respond to the IRS letter stating you accept their findings. Send in the amount proposed.
If there is not an amount specified, wait for the next letter which will have a final amount due.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies