Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unfair Charge

I have used the free program from Turbo Tax for years because I take a straight deduction. Don't mess with iteming any longer. This year I sold my one and only share of stock that garnered me a whole $29 in taxable income. For this Turbo Tax charged me $ for64 state, $209 for federal, and $40 service fee, total of $313 to file my taxes. I could have had my taxes prepared by a live certified accountant for less than what I was charge for reporting the sale of one single share of stock. How can I get this ridiculous charge reversed and get my money back? I wrote to Turbo Tax at the Tucson address but have, so far, heard absolutely nothing in response. Can you help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Unfair Charge

Please follow this link for help with billing issues.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfair Charge

These automated replies are basically useless. I am 71 years old, fixed income. The money Turbo Tax basically stole from me is very important to me. I need this money to do things around my house or pay bills that I wouldn't have the money to do otherwise. The charge was totally ridiculous and unfair. If I had sold 100 or even 1000 shares of stock, I could understand the charge. I sole one single share of stock that garnered $29 taxable income for which I was charged $313 to file my taxes. Does anyone at Turbo Tax see the unfairness of this? How do I get this money back. Money I need much more than Turbo Tax does.

Unfair Charge

The product I used was a free program for those who take a straight deduction rather than itemize their taxes. There is no charge for the free program, or so I thought. The problem came when Turbo Tax charge me $313 to file my "free" program because I reported the sale of one single, solitary share of stock. That is way the problem lies. Not with what I paid for the tax prep program, but what Turbo Tax charged me because of the sale of the one share of stock.  The stock garnered $29 taxable income. Turbo Tax charged me $313 to file. Do you see the problem here? It is Turbo Tax unfair charge.  I am being sent to ask a refund for a paid tax prep program. It was not not for a paid program but for what Turbo Tax charged because of reporting this income. Turbo Tax doesn't need the money but I do. 

Unfair Charge

Unfortunately the sale of stock put you out of the free program.  That is because one of more forms was needed that is not included in the free program.  It is not depentant on the amount that you got back, it is determined by what forms needed to be completed.   

Unfair Charge

There should be a sliding scale as to the value of stock sold. Being charged $313 for a $29 stock is totally ludicrous and totally unfair regardless of the program used.  Turbo Tax should take such things into account. I still think the money, or most of it, should be refunded. This is basically stealing from your customer. Nothing less than theft. Shows the company has not concern for the customer just their own pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies