Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tex5
Level 2

TurboTax Return Rejected! No AGI from last year

I did not file a return last year  (I would have been owed money” & so put “$0” in the 2021 AGI box as directed by the TurboTax software. I got this response with IRS rejection after filing: “IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS” Is there any quick way to fix this & get edited today? It was suggested to print & mail it in today but no guarantees that will work either. Would it help to find out if I have an IRS PIN? Or make one? Or call the IRS for help? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Go to the IRS website (irs.gov) and click 'sign in to your account'.  You will be able to create an account there and see whether you have a PIN number or if the IRS created a return for you last year that has a different AGI than zero.

@Tex5 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Go to the IRS website (irs.gov) and click 'sign in to your account'.  You will be able to create an account there and see whether you have a PIN number or if the IRS created a return for you last year that has a different AGI than zero.

@Tex5 

Tex5
Level 2

Thanks @RobertB4444 . I went to the IRS site & after giving them everything except my DNA to confirm my ID, they had a record of my tax return. I have absolutely no recollection of filing last year but my memory is definitely not what it used to be. The refund reported was fairly sizeable for me so now I’m wondering if they sent it somewhere else.?? Could the IRS have created this from whatever records they have access to? Confused, but at least I had an AGI number to input & send my return through again. No reject notice yet 🤞

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The IRS would not have created a tax return on your behalf and then issued you a refund.  

You may want to go back to the IRS site and request either a transcript of the 2021 return or a copy of it just to see what was filed.  

Here is a TurboTax help article with more information about this topic:

How do I get a copy of my tax return or transcript from the IRS?

@Tex5 

Tex5
Level 2

Thanks @AnnetteB6 . I looked at the transcript on the IRS site but it doesn’t show who signed it. Don’t really want to pay $50 to get a full copy. I never imagined the IRS would generate any form for me but was reacting to @RobertB4444 comments about “Go to the IRS website…. and see….if the IRS created a return for you last year that has a different AGI”. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies