Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tntisme

Turbotax 2022 cannot find my 2022 return that was not filed.

First, I know that I can only blame myself for being in this position of needing to file my 2022 tax returns. I am yelling at myself enough for everyone; so, please don't tell me what I should have done and the penalties. 

I purchased the Turbotax 2022 program and downloaded it to my computer. It said it found files and it put them somewhere. It said it found 2022 federal and state returns. (Might not have said "return" but that is what was insinuated.  I have tried repeatedly to pull up the 2022 documents so that I could continue. Nope. I only have access to the 3 documents that I uploaded. The files are no where for me to find.

Like many others who have posted, I am in panic mode. I was told that if I purchased the turbotax program, it would pull up my 2022 files and continue. If I have to find all of my info and reload it into the program, I would have used freetaxusa.  Instead I spent $80 and cannot even use it. 

I think I owe money. I need the info for a loan issue. 

How do I get turbotax to find the information or was I misled into what turbotax can do?  I am so disillusioned. I've used turbotax for yeas. Thinking about switching it up now. It cost too much to get nothing.

Can anyone help?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ tntisme 

It's not clear what all you did last year.  Please clarify how you prepared your 2022 return originally.    If a 2022 return was prepared last year in Online TurboTax, then the desktop 2022 TurboTax will not automatically find it, since it does not communicate with Online TurboTax.   If you prepared the 2022 return Online last year, we can tell you how to locate the tax data file in your Online account and download the *.tax2022 data file (hopefully) to your computer, so you can open it with 2022 desktop software.   But so far your situation is not clear (at least to me.)

On the other hand, if you prepared the 2022 return in desktop software last year on your computer, we can tell you how to search your computer system for the *.tax2022 data file, so you can open it in the 2022 desktop software.   If you recently installed 2022 TurboTax software, it does not automatically search for a 2022 data file when the program is launched and a new return begun. For a new return,  2022 TurboTax would look for a 2021 data file to transfer into a 2022 return.  But TurboTax CAN find an already-started 2022 data file if one uses the software and chooses "OPEN a return"--TurboTax would first look in the default location for an existing 2022 data file.   If you used 2022 desktop software last year, the default location for files in the desktop product is the Documents\TurboTax folder, and that's where the program would look first, but users sometimes save them somewhere else in their system.  In that case, it doesn't automatically search the whole computer.  You would need to run a search yourself for the *.tax2022 data file, and if you made any PDFs, you could search for those, too.  You couldn't work on any 2022 PDF's, but you could view info in them, if applicable.

@tntisme  I added some additional information to my answer above since it's not clear what all you did last year.  Please explain more, and someone should hopefully be able to continue this thread today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies