Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vinceTX

Turbo Tax shows $0 federal refund when amending , while the forms show lower due taxes.

I did not pay enough tax along the year but paid more than last year.

Turbo Tax had me pay penalties which is because Turbo Tax never asked me to enter the amount of tax paid last year and ignored that rule.

When I manually go in the form to enter my last year total tax, turbo tax does remove the under payment penalties.

I want  to amend my 2023 taxes, I do see lower tax to be paid on the 1040 form but software still shows "$0" refund and when proceeding further says  "We don't detect difference with original return".

Can this bug be fixed so I can file the amended return?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
maglib
Level 11

Turbo Tax shows $0 federal refund when amending , while the forms show lower due taxes.

@vinceTX   did you enter the payments you already made with the original return that had interest and penalties charged?  An amended return resets to $0, you have to enter payments already made.  If you never made any payments with the original return, you owe nothing after the amended.....

Do note the TT interview does ask about taxes paid and estimates paid during the interview if you continue through it. Otherwise you would have to enter in the proper section if you do it manually. 

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
vinceTX

It is not about that:

Penalties apply if you paid less than 90% of what you owe, unless you at already paid more than what you owed last year.

Turbo Tax did not explicitly ask my previous year owed tax (strangely it was not imported along other imported data), once I enter that, it does cancel my penalties on the 1040.

I want to amend my return to get a refund of those penalties.

But Turbo Tax says there is no change to be filed (even though it shows lesser Tax due on 1040 after doing the change) , and show $0 refund when going through the amendment process.

maglib
Level 11

There is a whole interview in TT to reduce interest and penalties on amounts owed. You also can annualize your income as the IRS assumes all income was earned evenly throughout the year. Example AGI 100k, IRS assumes it is earned 25k/qtr and est taxes must be paid within each quarter but, let's say it was earned in December so you then annualized your income to reduce the int and penalties,

Again did you enter the amount you already paid with the original return?

Was your new tax liability greater than the amount already withheld and payments made with your original return?
What was your tax liability and interest and penalties on original return?, how much was withheld? How much was due?
Then amended you need to say the amount due was actually paid.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
vinceTX

You are going way too far it is a simple tool bug:

Let me simplify:

1- Filed in April 2023, paid XXX of penalties, accepted by IRS. 

2- Later noticed I did not enter my previous year total Tax in some field, when I do enter it , Turbo Tax understands and removes the penalties on the return.

3- Waited couple of weeks to start the amendment process with Turbo Tax

4- When going through the amendment process, 1040 form seems fine, shows penalties are not there anymore.

5-But never Turbo Tax show any refund due, and even says there is no difference with what I filed earlier.

6- This is clearly wrong as the amended-computed 1040 shows the difference with the one I filed.

maglib
Level 11

Your 1040x line 16 does it have an amount that you paid with your prior return?
If you made no payments, there is no refund since you never paid it.....
If you made payments with original return and they are here. Then look over column C
vinceTX

I understand you are trying to help, but on this point, I don't need help to understand the tax I need to pay,

I am just reporting a software bug, when amending with the change I am mentioning, the tool does not realize there is a change even though line 24 of 1040 is changing.

Maybe I am not clear enough....  but don't worry about my post, it is mainly for TT developers ...

maglib
Level 11

You continue to not respond to my questions. You need to look at the 1040X.

DID YOU PAY ANY MONIES WITH THE ORIGINAL UNAMENDED RETURN?  IS THAT AMOUNT IN LINE 16?

DID LINE 5 CHANGE?  It should not have. 

Does LINE 11 CHANGE?  It should not have.

THE ONLY CHANGE would be you made a payment in line 16. that included interest and fees.   Which then you would get a refund...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies