Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT changes my refund amount if I claim my son as a dependent vs. claiming my daughter as a dependent...why?

So according to a court order my ex and I have, I am to claim my son (who is currently 12) every year until he is 18 and my ex is to claim my daughter every year until my son is 18, and then I claim my daughter (who is currently 10) the first year and my ex claims her the second year.  So for 2023TY my ex screws up and claims my son and files her return before I did.  I efile my return, and it is of course rejected b/c we have both claimed my son on our returns.  The simple thing to do is for me to claim my daughter this year on my taxes, however, when I go to do that, my refund is REDUCED BY $100 just by changing from my son as the dependent to my daughter.  

This makes absolutely no sense to me, and I'm wondering if it is a glitch in TT.  I even tried changing the birthdates of the two around just to see if that had something to do with it for some odd reason...it did not.  This is absolutely stupid...I can't figure out why there should or would be a $100 difference in my return just by changing which child I take as the dependent.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

TT changes my refund amount if I claim my son as a dependent vs. claiming my daughter as a dependent...why?

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

Are you claiming childcare expenses for either child?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ahhh...yes, I am for my son, but didn't add/revise it for my daughter.  That would be why I'm sure.  Thanks!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies