Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RichR
Returning Member

TT amendment process not allowing to E-file and insufficient “if-then” questions.

Is this an TT algorithm issue or am I missing something?

I E-filed my 2022 TT return (1040 SR), it was accepted by IRS.  I have not sent the amount due yet.  The following day, I received a corrected 1099-DIV which would reduce the tax amount due enough to make amending worthwhile.  However, after following the process to input required corrections (nowhere does process ask if any taxes due have been paid) the resulting 1040-X :
(1) does not allow me to E-file 

(2) tells me I am due a refund of approximately the amount that should reduce what I owe.

It appears the TT amendment process fails to determine if any amount due has been paid and for whatever reason will not provide for E-filing the amendment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

TT amendment process not allowing to E-file and insufficient “if-then” questions.

You should allow the original return to completely process through the IRS prior to submitting an amended return.  To submit the amended the next day after submitting the original return will generate an error if it is not in the system yet.

To allow the original return to completely process through the system means to receive your refund or a notice of balance due.  Honestly, about two weeks will be long enough then amend.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies