turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to amend our taxes from "MFJ" to "MFS", I am the primary filer. Does my wife need to file an amendment or just file a regular "MFS" return?

I am the primary filer in TurboTax online. I know how to amend my tax to MFS. Does my wide need to file an amendment or just efile a regular "MFS" return? In any case, I understand that she will need to have her own TurboTax account. If she needs an amendment, how do you start the process with TurboTax Online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Trying to amend our taxes from "MFJ" to "MFS", I am the primary filer. Does my wife need to file an amendment or just file a regular "MFS" return?

Since you are both included on the MFJ return, you will each need to file your own MFS returns.

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it

Be sure to print out a copy (or save a pdf copy) before making any changes.

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

I am a bit confused. Do I need to amend for me and my wife or do I need to file a new return for me and my wife. Our joint tax return was accepted by the IRS.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You need to file an amended return for yourself. She needs her own amended return. There are no "new" returns. You both have already filed on the original 1040.

Note FYI:  You cannot change a joint return to separate after the due date of the tax return (April 15, 2019 and no prior year can be changed.  Tax law prohibits that.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you. it is clear. I am the primary filer so I know how to amend my return . However, could you tell me how to amend my wife's return in TurboTax Online? She created a brand new account but we do not see where to amend her 2018 return?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

She needs to enter everything exactly as your original tax form appeared and then remove all traces of your info.

We did that. However, let's say, the original refund for MFJ was $1000.
On my side, the amended return to MFS gives me a refund of $300, 1040X shows I owe $700 back now. Ok.
On my wife's side, her amended return to MFS gives her a refund of $300, 1040X shows she owes $700 back now. It does not make sense. Should she put $0 on line 18 of the1040X?
Thank you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies