Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There's no option to file an out of state income tax return using the Amtrak Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 1990?

I was not required to pay this tax to Massachusetts, and protected by the Amtrak Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 1990. I also live in a state, that does not have to pay state taxes, and a non resident of the state of Massachusetts. Not sure why this money was even taken from me. I in no way responsible for paying this.  I was told the business in MA must collect this tax money from me for the year, and I would need to claim it back as a credit when filing my 2023 tax returns. Although, I see no way of doing this in Turbo Tax.  Should this handled he handles same way in Massachusetts as it is in Oregon?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

There's no option to file an out of state income tax return using the Amtrak Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 1990?

The Act simply states that only your resident state will tax the income. File a nonresident return and claim zero wages for a full refund.

Reference:

Amtrak Reauthorization and Improvement Act of 1990 - Prohibits the compensation of any rail or motor carrier employee who works in more than one State from being subject to State income taxes in any State but the State in which the employee resides.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies