Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child that we claimed is working now. He is under 18 filed his own $2000 income can we still claim him? Or how is this going to affect us when my wife and I filed taxes?

my child earn $2000 in 2016 and he filed his own taxes without our knowledge and I want to know how is this going to affect his parents when we file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Child that we claimed is working now. He is under 18 filed his own $2000 income can we still claim him? Or how is this going to affect us when my wife and I filed taxes?

If when he filed his tax return, he indicated that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else in the Personal Info section of TurboTax, then there is no problem. You can claim him as a dependent and e-file normally.

If he did not indicate that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else, then your tax return will be rejected. In this case, he will have to amend his return to indicate that you are claiming him. The IRS will take 12 to 16 weeks to process his amended return and you cannot e-file during that time.

I recommend that you claim him as a dependent and file by mail. By the time the IRS processes your paper return, they would have processed your son's amended return and everything will match.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If when he filed his tax return, he indicated that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else in the Personal Info section of TurboTax, then there is no problem. You can claim him as a dependent and e-file normally.

If he did not indicate that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else, then your tax return will be rejected. In this case, he will have to amend his return to indicate that you are claiming him. The IRS will take 12 to 16 weeks to process his amended return and you cannot e-file during that time.

I recommend that you claim him as a dependent and file by mail. By the time the IRS processes your paper return, they would have processed your son's amended return and everything will match.

e-munyy

Thanks. We havent filed yet. He did not indicate that he could be claimed as dependant by someone else and also, he made a mistake on his form by entering $10,350 on line 5 and also on itemized deduction, he put $4129. Can he make a correction on the mistakes he made when he file his amend return?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

When he amends his return, he can correct all these inaccuracies.

I see. That is very helpful. So we have to wait until he can amends on his return before we could file taxes, right? Or just follow your recommendation: "I recommend that you claim him as a dependent and file by mail. By the time the IRS processes your paper return, they would have processed your son's amended return and everything will match."
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You should follow my recommendation.

Thank you very much. I really appreciated it 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies