Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keepcalm1

Tax refund reduced to pay past due IRS tax obligation? I don't have any past due debts...

My tax refund has been reduced to pay a past due IRS tax obligation. There is no explanation what that past due obligation is.

The only thing I can think of, is that there was an audit for an income tax in 2019 for which I mistakenly filed for an EV credit as a business when I was not a business owner. (I had clicked the Turbo Tax button, "Did you use this vehicle for work?" and it generated a business form.) For this reason, IRS audit had me owing the EV credit back to the IRS, but when I filed an appeal with a 1040X showing I was just an individual, the case was approved and closed. This message was received via the online IRS messaging system on 01/20/2022, and it did not specify whether I owed any money at all. I waited for a mail explaining this but never received it. 

I think that if my past due tax obligation is from this audit case, it would be fees associated with audits, penalties, interests, etc, and not the full amount of the EV credit, but it seems that way from the amount they took from my refund.

I believe I don't owe them since the audit case was approved and closed. 

What advice do you have? Who should I contact? The system won't let me reach out to the audit department because the case is closed. Where can I find explanation about my past due IRS tax obligation? And if it has to do with a poorly resolved past audit, who should I contact? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax refund reduced to pay past due IRS tax obligation? I don't have any past due debts...

past due

that means IRS is still waiting for you to pay your taxes.

offsets

that means other organizations are waiting for you to pay and IRS will help them out with your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies