Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J-lesser

Should I send an amended return for withdrawing excess IRA funds before the deadline?

Hello, I filed an extension for my taxes this year because I discovered my income level was too low to qualify for the maximum allowance of IRA contributions made in a year.

I recently received an inheritance of after-tax probate dollars that I decided to invest, splitting the money between a new IRA and other investment portfolios, unaware of the income requirements for an IRA. Before the deadline, I withdrew the money from my Schwab IRA to another Schwab investment account. My total dividend income according to my tax forms was under the $1500 Schedule B requirement. 

My questions are:

1. Was I right to file an extension or will this not change my 2023 income listing and no amendment is required?

2. If the amendment is required, will I get an amended 1099-DIV with this updated information automatically before the next 2024 year tax-season forms to update the income information or will I have to manually request this information?

3. In neither case, could this just be something I have to report on next year and not deal with this year?

Thank for for any information. This is my first year dealing with investments when doing taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies