Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

barbjkus
Returning Member

Should I amend my 2019 tax so my dependent mother can receive Stimulus check

ok...thanks...it's just $500, right..it is not the difference between single and hoh?

@barbjkus - without reviewing your tax return specifically, i can't say.   but yes, your taxable income would rise by the difference in the standard deduction between single and HOH.  but that difference gets multiplied by your tax bracket.

kalbman
Returning Member

@Critter @NCperson 

Thank you for your replies today!  I found my answer by reading various IRS articles and Turbotax blog postings today.  It turns out that I didn't read barbjkus's original posting and it is clear that my situation and questions I had were not related to the original posting in the first place.  Sorry if there was any confusion! 

In case anybody who is collectively supporting a relative with other family members read this posting later:

So in a case where you are collectively supporting your relative with other family members, you can claim that relative as your dependent as long as your collective support with other family members exceed 50% of total support needed for a dependent, and your contribution exceeds 10%.  In order for you to claim a dependent, you need to obtain signed forms from each supporting family members that they will not claim the dependent on their own.  In other words, only one person out of group of supporters can claim a dependent that group is supporting.  Obviously no multiple claims are allowed.  Turbotax does an awesome job in asking simple and clear questions as you go though the filing process and it will even guide you with special forms that you need to file with IRS. 

Here are great articles related to this topic:

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/claim-elderly-parent-as-dependent-109238.htm

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/can-you-claim-a-parent-as-a-dep...    

kbwhite42

I claimed my mother as a dependent without her knowledge, but did amend my 2019 return in hopes that the IRS will release her stimulus check to her.  Should she file a 2019 return, however she does not usually file or should we wait for direction from IRS on what to do with this?  I have not received confirmation that my amended return has been received as of yet.  But just nervous, because I don't know what to do and she is looking for her check everyday.

@kbwhite42 wrote:

I claimed my mother as a dependent without her knowledge, but did amend my 2019 return in hopes that the IRS will release her stimulus check to her.  Should she file a 2019 return, however she does not usually file or should we wait for direction from IRS on what to do with this?  I have not received confirmation that my amended return has been received as of yet.  But just nervous, because I don't know what to do and she is looking for her check everyday.

Keep in mind that amended returns typically take 4 months to process but due to the IRS partial shut down will probably be more like 6 months this year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

the person didn't get the additional $500 for their mother. The reason being is that the payment for a dependent is for ages 17 and under. 

So, since you can Amend a return, it would be amended to remove that older person from being claimed, and then that person should be able to file a return & be eligible for the stimulus payment IMO.

HELLO ... may I suggest you do NOT amend and keep the $500 you already got and then on the 2020 return you do NOT claim the dependent so that they can get the $1200 next year... this is a WIN WIN for both parties and is legal.  

Jamesss

Is this still valid information? I did the same thing with my dad and claimed him as a dependent on my taxes, and he will not get his stimulus check. Can I still amend it and he would get the second stimulus payment or get it if he files 2020 taxes? I see that it takes 4 months for the IRS to view an amendment? So it probably won't take effect until 2020 taxes anyway. Can anyone confirm that for me. A link to information on the irs website would help greatly! I am am hold with the IRS call center now, we'll see if I can get any information...

Jamesss

Can you confirm that this is true?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies