Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

garymize1

Risk or Audit due to Charitable Donations

I have approx. 20K of charitable donations and my income is around $120K... These donations came from cleaning out a home my Mother had been leaving in prior to moving to an assisted living facility, not cash donations.. I used ItsDeductible to price over 900 items.  Turbotax says my risk of audit is very low,, Is that really true or am I likely to be audited due to the large charitable donation percentage of income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Maybe a more important consideration is if you are eligible to deduct those donations since you didn’t own them. If the items were gifted to you I’m not sure if she would have to file a 709 since they were separate items. 

But to your question, the important thing is that you are able to document your donation. Opinions will differ on your audit risk and are just opinions. 

Even Turbotax's opinion on audit chances is just that an opinion.  At random the IRS selects returns that otherwise would not be audited for audit.  Had clients that wanted audit-proof returns. Told them about the IRS random selection process so there was no way to audit-proof their return and in fact one was audited.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies