Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alexroet

Return rejected- was told to print/mail?

I’m afraid I’ve made a mess, please help!

My husband and I are filing separately this year. My husband’s return was e-filed successfully. But mine was rejected (the issue was claiming kids for dependent care credit). We amended his return (in march) and filed an extension for mine. Got confirmation in July (14w later) that his amended return was processed and complete. I then e-filed mine. It was rejected again. 😭 the reason given was that the kids were on both. BUT THEY AREN’T!!!! That’s what I fixed in the amendment!! i confirmed on the pdf files of both. The same name is NOT on both returns! I called TurboTax and they said I just need to file by mail. But…. Why? Why would that make a difference? 

and how will I know if the paper return was accepted? The (extended) deadline is coming up!

I see this same situation/solution in these forums, but my accountant friend says it’s nonsense and efile should work, which makes me fear there’s another issue. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Return rejected- was told to print/mail?

the rejection is by the IRS not Turbotax.  Your accountant friend is wrong. Once a tax return is filed with a dependent's tax ID number, the IRS will not accept another e-filed return with that same dependent even if the first return is amended to remove the dependent. So, if a parent tries to e-file a tax return claiming a child that has already been claimed for the year, the return will be rejected by the IRS. Your return will have to be paper-filed.

mail your return and use a tracking service. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/what-happens-when-both-parents-claim-a-child-on-a-tax-re... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies