Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received a CP11 notice from IRS saying I miscalculated my Recovery Rebate Credit

I received a CP11 saying that I calculated my tax wrong and that I owe an additional $898, which is EXACTLY the amount calculated by TurboTax on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.  Essentially, the IRS notice seems to be saying that I'm not entitled to that credit.  I have reread that worksheet and all related IRS material about a hundred times now, and as I see it, we (married filing jointly with an AGI below 150K) should be entitled to $2800, but back in March 2021, we received $1902.  Therefore, the credit on line 30 should be the $898 that I filed.  I am unable to get through to the number provided in the letter.  I also contacted TurboTax, but unlike in prior years, where someone was able to advise me on it, I am being told that I need to talk to the IRS or a CPA. I am convinced that my and TurboTax's calculations are correct.  Can anyone think of a reason that the IRS might be correct instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Received a CP11 notice from IRS saying I miscalculated my Recovery Rebate Credit

@WisMom22 ,  I do not understand the figure $1902 -- because generally it is $1400 per person or $2800 for a joint filer.   Here is something that IRS has put out on the subject --- it strongly suggests  checking your  account to see how much was paid etc.  I have yet to find the phaseout rules on this though -- I wll have to look at the actual statute, but in the meantime-->

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5486b.pdf

TurboTax cannot deal with this because this is purely an IRS action/ position.  Please call  the IRS  and ask for an explanation.  Also the CP11 , allows you to agree / pay or disagree and explain why . But you must respond within thirty days from the date  of the mail or the process will continue  and a demand note would be issued.  So please respond to their notice.

Good luck

pk

I was finally able to contact the IRS, and they indicated that they had mailed us a check for the remaining $898 in May, 2021.  Mystery solved.  I do owe the money, and I paid it right away.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@WisMom22 , Great.   Enjoy the Summer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies