Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received 5071C regarding tax return for 2022 but I filled back in March: Question on irs.gov/verifyreturn

Recently, I received a 5071C letter from IRS stating that I need to verify my return online as it can be case of identity theft. I already received my refund for year 2022 back in April only, so it looks like someone else tried to file using my details. 

As per the instructions on the letter, I went to irs.gov/verifyreturn and using realid.me, verified myself. After that, a question came whether I filed tax return for year 2022 or not. I answered "YES" as I did file back in March but I am not sure if the question here was meant for this new return that someone else filed or for me. 

Then, it asks for few more details from my 1040 form like AGI, refund amount, etc. that I gave correctly. And then asks for control number listed on the letter. After that, it just gave a confirming page that "Congratulations! You have successfully completed the return verification process. We now have the necessary information to continue processing your return. Processing can take up to 9 weeks."

Question: I am now worried that should I have answered that question of whether I filed tax return for year 2022 as NO? Was it asking for the return related to this letter? Can someone please tell me if I made a mistake or not? If there was a mistake, what should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Received 5071C regarding tax return for 2022 but I filled back in March: Question on irs.gov/verifyreturn

You answered correctly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies