turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

merced730

If i received a letter from irs LTR 4464C what should i do ? Should i wait the 60 days to respond?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If i received a letter from irs LTR 4464C what should i do ? Should i wait the 60 days to respond?

The IRS Integrity and Verification Operations IVO group is delaying  some taxpayer refunds to screen for identity theft and refund fraud.

Taxpayers identified by the program may receive a 4464C letter from the IVO stating that their tax return is being thoroughly reviewed so that the IRS can ensure the accuracy of return information. The letter states that the IRS may contact the taxpayer or third parties for further information and that if the taxpayer does not hear from the IRS or receive his or her refund within 60 days from the date of the letter, the taxpayer may contact the IRS directly. Once the IRS has completed its review, it may send a full or partial refund or no refund. Whatever the decision, the taxpayer can appeal it.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit. 

If the IRS asks you for additional info, answer promptly.

Anthonyrbrowder
Returning Member

If the 60 days has past and they havent finished and you call and they put in a 4442 form does that mean your getting your check?

So with those letters do we mail them back ...with our phone numbers or do we wait for the 60 days ...and then mail them 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you received the same IRS letter (4464C) referenced above, you don’t need to take any action right now.  

The IRS asks that you not call them until 60 days after the date of the letter, and only call if you haven't received your refund or heard from the IRS by then.

Please see the IRS’s Understanding Your Letter 4464C page for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies