Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS says someone else tried to receive my tax refund. Do I need to file again for 2020? Federal and state was filed promptly in Jan 2021

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

IRS says someone else tried to receive my tax refund. Do I need to file again for 2020? Federal and state was filed promptly in Jan 2021

Normally, you do not file your taxes twice.  Did IRS send you a letter?  And did they tell you to re-file or take any action?

Please write back with clarification.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was not me could I still get my federal tax refund 

No they didn't so do i still get my federal tax

refund 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If you do not receive your refund or have an updated status by the IRS, you may have to mail your return to IRS with a note explaining the situation.  The IRS will verify which return is entitled to the refund and issue to the correct return.

Identity fraud is a serious problem.  If someone has access to your social security number, and chooses to try to file a return in your name.  They may successfully get through. 

There is other information that the IRS requires that may make it more difficult, but it could happen.

The first step would be to try to file your return.  If it is Accepted it is fine.  If it is Rejected due to duplicate social security numbers you should take these steps.

If you cannot determine who filed using your SSN, you should file a paper tax return  (which you can do through TurboTax), claiming yourself and send it in to the IRS.

The IRS will then contact both you and the person that claimed you and decide who should get your exemption and adjust your tax result accordingly.

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Contact us right away for further assistance.

Helpful resources

Per @JohnB5677

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies