Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS said they are going based on my 2018 return and not my 2019 return which disqualifies me for the stimulus check. Why are they going with 2018 and not 2019 return?

In 2018 I was claimed as a dependent on my mothers Tax return which I understand would disqualify me for the stimulus check. But I already filed my 2019 return, checked everything an I qualify.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

IRS said they are going based on my 2018 return and not my 2019 return which disqualifies me for the stimulus check. Why are they going with 2018 and not 2019 return?

when did you file ? If you filed around the time that everyone at the IRS processing centers went home, that explains it.

Thanks for the reply. I filed on 4/17/20 and the filings were accepted on 4/19/20. I already received my federal and state return. It really doesn't make any sense to me. So if they go by my 2018 return and lets supposed that in 2018 I qualified then therefore they would send me a check? but lets say that I filed my 2019 return today and I don't qualify for some reason or another. does that mean that they would tell me to give the money back? thanks for the reply.

as pointed out elsewhere, all the stimulus checks have not yet been sent out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the current year payment is just an advance.  The actual stimulus payment you are due will be based on your 2020 return.  if the advance is too much, you get to keep it.  If it's too little you'll get a credit for the difference which will either reduce the balance due or increase your refund

@fanfare @Hi, thanks for the replies. Yes I'm well aware that they are in not done sending all the stimulus checks. But I already talked to someone at the IRS and the lady said that I don't qualify because my mother claimed me as a dependent on her 2018 tax return. I responded with "what year is the stimulus check based on?" She said "both" I told her that that is total nonsense. If they base it on the 2018/19 return and in one of those years I don't qualify which one are they going to go with? The one which I don't qualify or the year which I do qualify? Because they can't based it on both in that situation. According to the IRS own website. The stimulus check is based on the 2019 tax return or the 2018 return but only if you didn't file for 2019. I really feel left out by the system. I'm a lawful Permanent U.S resident and been paying my taxes and all and when I need some help the system and is not there

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies