Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgb209688
Returning Member

IRS refund less than refund computed by turbotax on my 2021 federal filing

I filed my 2020 federal tax on April 15, 2021 via turbotax showing an expected refund of $533.   I received a electronic deposit from IRS on April 23, 2021 with an amount of $333.31.   Why is there a difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@jgb209688 , generally, when IRS refunds  an amount different  than that  shown on your return, you probably had some offsets ( amounts owed to  some authority/agency ) that were recognized/honored by the IRS.  IRS also usually send you  a letter explaining  the action -- so  if in three to four weeks you do not receive  anything from the IRS, call them and agent should be able to help you with the reasons.   TurboTax  cannot  get that information for you -- IRS will only talk to you.

jgb209688
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply.   I also called TurboTax help line and they also stated to expect a letter explaining the difference.  The letter would point out the reason of the difference.    I am not aware of any owed $ but the help line also stated IRS could have caught a different reported number in a manual entry W-2, 1099 etc which differs from the IRS data.   

Just did not know what to do next and the answer is wait until IRS send you the letter in 3-4 weeks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies