Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS is requesting i mail in a form 8962. I am very confused! Can anyone help me?

If anyone can help me it would mean so much.

So me and my sons mom live together. We are not married. We have one son.

This year I did our taxes and she filed as single, with no dependents. I filed as single with one dependant (our son)

She received a 1095a through the healthcare marketplace(her and our son share the same insurance plan) - the 1095 is addressed to her and my name is not on it at all.

When I filed our taxes we filed her as single and included the 1095a information. Because of the "credit" her tax return was very small.

I filed myself as single, head of household- but I claimed our son as my dependant, but I did not include the information from the 1095a for her and our sons insurance because I didnt think had to because it was done on her return.

IRS is now requesting that I fill out the 8962 with the information from the 1905a and mail it to them in order to complete my return. I have no idea what I'm doing or how to fill this out correctly.. can anyone give me a hand? Would a place like h and r block help me fill this out the correctly? I really dont want to mess it up anymore than I already have.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

IRS is requesting i mail in a form 8962. I am very confused! Can anyone help me?

Follow the instructions in this FAQ for instructions on filling out your 8962.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So I will need to amend?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Qubix1984 If the IRS is not instructing you to Amend your return, then you would just print off the 8962 form and mail or fax it in.

The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019

Correct. Hut I'm completely clueless how to fill out 8962! Because the 1095a was claimed on his mother's return, the tax credit has already been allocated.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

If anyone listed on your tax return gets a 1095-A form, then a portion of the Form 1095-A information must be reported on your tax return. In a case like this, the amount is divided equally between the two insured people.

You have two options, you can report half of the amounts on Form 1095-A for your son on your return, which will allow you to create a Form 8962 to send to the IRS.

If your son's mother reported the entire amount of the 1095-A on her return, she will have to amend her tax return to reduce it to her half only.

Or...

You can amend your return, take your son off, so that you won't have to enter the 1095-A form for his half of the insurance premiums.

Your son's mother could amend her return and claim your son along with the entire 1095-A. 

This is not too difficult to do in TurboTax, but it is your choice whether your want to go to a tax professional's office to resolve this. 

If you do it in TurboTax, this is how you can add the Form 8962:

1. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents, select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  2. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  3. Select Continue on the screen titled, We’ll help you change (amend) your return
  4. Answer Yes, then select I need to amend my 2019 return and Continue.
  5. On the  screen titled We'll help you change (amend) your return, select the Federal Taxes tab at the top of the screen. 
  6. Click on Deductions & Credits near the top center of the screen.
  7. Find Medical on the list. If you don't see it, click on See all tax breaks at the bottom. 
  8. Click on Show more to the right of Medical
  9. Find Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) on the short list, click Start on the right.
  10. Enter your information.

This will add your 1095-A information to your tax return and will generate a Form 8962. To print your 8962:

1. Click on Tax Tools.
    2. Select Print Center.
    3. Click on Print, save or preview this years return. 
    4. Select Form 8962 and print the form.

To get your refund as soon as possible, follow the directions in the letter. Typically they will say not to amend your return, but just to complete Form 8962 and fax or mail it to them with a copy of your Form 1095-A.

JulieS thank you 

So am I not allowed to claim him if he has a 1095a for him and his mother?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You are allowed to claim him. You just have to include the Form 1095-A on your return since it covered him. Since there are two separate tax returns with persons on the same policy, you have to prorate all the figures. If she already filed and claimed 100% of costs, then you would claim zero percent on your own return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies