turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If a tax filer dies after return is accepted how does that effect the refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
WKins2
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: If a tax filer dies after return is accepted how does that effect the refund?

The refund will be sent in the method that the taxpayer selected when they filed the return. If they chose a check, the check will come in their name, and the executor of the will/estate/trust will need to take it to the bank with the appropriate documentation to have it cashed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if the refund was never received???  Apparently something intercepted it.  My daughter can't get any information since she and her children were dependents and the refund was entirely EIC, Child Tax Credit all but $36.... The boyfriend claimed my daughter and their children on 2/3/2020 filed taxes; committed suicide on 2/9/2020....

Then with this stimulus.....Since she was listed as a dependent she won't get the $1200....even if the person claiming her has since died?  What about the children who are receiving survivor benefits but were claimed as a dependent of a deceased person now....  This has created a huge mess in my daughter's life...  We need someone who we can talk to.  Any suggestions?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If your daughter has a copy of the tax return, she can check the status of the refund by going to the IRS Refunds page.  The Social Security Administration may have notified the IRS of the boyfriend's death, in which case they may not have issued the refund.  

As far as the Stimulus checks, since the CARES Act is still working its way through Congress and has not been signed into law, there are some questions that can't be answered definitively at this time. Please check for updates here TurboTax Corona Virus Update Center and here IRS Corona Virus Update Center.

I recommend your daughter get legal and tax advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies