Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abc300200100
Returning Member

I want to amend 2019 tax from "married file jointly" to "married file seperately" and will I be qualified for stimulus check?

I am a green card holder who has SSN, my spouse is a foreigner who only has ITIN. I'm self-employed but my spouse doesn't work and had no income (since he is a foreigner and not eligible to work in US). For tax 2018 and 2019 we both filed as "married file jointly" by using my SSN and his ITIN. However, I just noticed the joint couple who used ITIN is not eligible for the stimulus check. Can I amend the 2019 tax and change it to "married file separately" in order to get my part of the stimulus check? Will the amendment trigger another look at my stimulus check? Or it is too late to change? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I want to amend 2019 tax from "married file jointly" to "married file seperately" and will I be qualified for stimulus check?

Unfortunately, you can amend a return to change from married filling separate to married filing joint but not from married filing joint to married filing separate. So, once you file a joint return you can not change it to a separate return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies