Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've already filed my taxes and received refund. I need to amend 2018 due to an error I did on a 1099-SA form. Do I need to amend state in addition to federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I've already filed my taxes and received refund. I need to amend 2018 due to an error I did on a 1099-SA form. Do I need to amend state in addition to federal?

It depends on what the error on the 1099-SA was. In some cases, your state tax won't change and in other cases it would (requiring you to amend).

What is your state and what was the reason that you amended your federal return (i.e., what was the error on the 1099-SA)?

Thank you! I contacted a representative and got it solved

I have a question that's similar so tagged it on this.  When my daughter filed her 2018 return she claimed she was a dependent.  We realized now when starting 2019 returns  that she was over the income level so that was inaccurate and she should have filed as non-dependent.  She has just amended the 2018 federal return.  Does she have to file the amended state return?   TIA

When someone amends the federal return, the IRS routinely notifies the state(s) involved in case they might want to do something about it.

The answer I gave above is still relevant. If the amended return would result in a change in the state's tax due, then you will want to file the amended return for the state sooner rather than later. If you owe the state more money, it will cut off the interest that is running on your tax due, and if you will get a refund from the state, why wait for it - get it sooner than later.

If the amended federal return will not cause a change in the tax due on the state return, then you can wait to see if the state notifies you. If they do, fine, send the state the amended return, but if they don't ever notify you, then it's a win-win - you don't have to file the state amended return, and the state doesn't have to deal with paperwork that won't change anything.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies