Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to amend our 2019 joint filing taxes. The 1040-X is showing incorrect numbers for "Original Amount" on lines 1, 5, 6,7, & 14. How do I fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

I need to amend our 2019 joint filing taxes. The 1040-X is showing incorrect numbers for "Original Amount" on lines 1, 5, 6,7, & 14. How do I fix?

It depends.  This means that the return was changed after it was filed. 

When you pull up an amended return, it should have exactly the same numbers as it did when it was filed. 

IT is NEVER a good idea to make any changes to a return that has already been filed, but if that's what happened, you will need to open the return and put things back to match the return that was filed. 

Once it matches the return that IRS was sent, you can amend the return.

You can get back into your return and put it back the way it was when it was filed, then go back and amend it.

fore you've e-filed or mailed your return, you can "add a state" to make changes:

1.    Sign In to TurboTax Online

2.    Click "My TurboTax" menu

3.    Press "Visit My Tax Timeline" 

4.    Under the "SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO" heading, choose "Add a state" (you're not really adding a state, this allows you to get back into your return). 

5.    Complete/correct as needed.

I suggest adding the LIVE product to your TurboTax, if you don't have it, so you can get assistance through this process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies