Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

i mixed up returns, please advise.

Hi!

Please help. I have 3 businesses. 2 of which i was reporting $0s on and a 3rd i was reporting a profit. I mistakenly mixed up the one I was suppose to be reporting a profit with one i was suppose to be reporting a $0 and sent that. (mainly because one of the $0s was my primary business the year before.)

How should I approach the situation?

Call and ask to cancel because i sent the wrong return or what? 

Thank you so very much. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

So, those should be relatively easy returns to amend; just flip the EINs.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Are these Schedule C businesses?  If so, you'd need to amend the return (can't be cancelled once it's been accepted by the IRS) to reflect the correct information.    All 3 business were reported on in TurboTax Self-Employed or Home & Business programs, correct?  The TurboTax FAQ below will instruct you on how to amend your 2018 return.  Please wait until the original return has been completely processed and any payment or refund has been made.  Additionally, an amended return cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed, signed and mailed.

"How do I amend a 2018 return in TurboTax?"

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276605

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

All 3 businesses were filed as schedule k (partnerships) and yes the businesses were reported on turbo tax. Approx how many days after filing does it usually take to receive a "processed" confirmation email from the IRS?

Thank you so very much for your help 🙂

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@warith3140Forgive me for asking, but did you file using TurboTax Business?  The reason I ask is because I'm not versed in Partnerships, etc.  If you used the Business program (which is available only in Windows Download version), I'll see if I can find another SuperUser who will be able to answer your question best.

When I use the word "processed", I mean that the return has completely cleared the IRS system.  In other words, you would have received any refund that is due you, or made any payment to the IRS if you had a tax liability.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Yes I did use turbo tax business and I understand, so when can I expect them to completely finish processing my tax return? (i.e 1 to 2 weeks after sending using turbo tax business)

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Let me see if I can find another SuperUser to respond to you here.  Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

@warith3140 wrote:

Yes I did use turbo tax business and I understand, so when can I expect them to completely finish processing my tax return? (i.e 1 to 2 weeks after sending using turbo tax business)

It remains unclear exactly how you filed the returns you generated in TurboTax Business. Did you e-file or print and mail them?

If you e-filed, you can check the status as displayed in the first screenshot below; it should indicated that the return was accepted.

If you printed and mailed, you will see words to that effect on the opening screen similar to the second screenshot below.

Please clarify the method you used to file and the status as displayed in TurboTax Business. If you e-filed, you should have been notified of acceptance or rejection with 24 hours or so.

1.png2.png

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@tagteamDo you agree with my initial answer that the user should amend?  There should be no tax consequences, I believe.

@Kat wrote:

@tagteamDo you agree with my initial answer that the user should amend?  There should be no tax consequences, I believe.

I believe so because it appears as if the only issue was the wrong entries were made under different EINs (i.e., the taxpayer entered zero profit under the EIN that actually showed a profit). So, those two returns should be amended and doing so should be a relatively simple matter.

I still can't figure out whether @warith3140 filed electronically or my mail (not that it matters much with respect to amending).

You've been an absolutely great help Kat! w/ very prompt response time. Thank you so much 🙂

Yes Tagteam you are correct. The business that was suppose to show a loss shows a profit and another business shows a profit when it should show a loss. Furthermore I filled the tax returns electronically (e-file). 

So, those should be relatively easy returns to amend; just flip the EINs.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I'm happy to try to help, @warith3140.  Kudos to @tagteam for the finish!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies